Thursday, September 15, 2016

Drowning in K-pop: Sept. 5th-11th




I know, I know...I'm late. However, I have my reasons. Reasons that will remain secret for another...2-3 weeks. And no, it's nothing super exciting, so you can all rest easy.

As for my favorite songs/videos from the past week, or at least those that I consider to be particularly noteworthy, I could easily fill out four of the five slots with Bobby and Mino...but for the sake of diversity I won't.

1. Gain - Carnival (The Last Day)



Just slightly over six minutes long, this is more of a short film than a music video. Even though Gain is better known for her epic eyeliner skills and massive sex appeal, I think it's great that she went a bit of a different route for this song. Granted, this isn't my favorite, but I do appreciate the 50s musical vibe.

2. FIVE RUN STRIKE - Round & Round



Oh hey, it's K-rock...or K-rock lite/diet rock/rock zero (some of the rock 'n' roll flavor, none of the calories aka sex and drugs?)...or K-pop/rock or something like that. While I do like this song, it would probably be too cute for me if it weren't for all of the guitars.

3. Clazziquai Project - #Curious (I'm Curious)



Yes, I realize that this video has Italian subtitles. Just ignore them and focus on the song, okay? Unless you want to practice your Italian reading comprehension skills that is... What's great about this song is how reminiscent it is of 70s disco. Then again, I'm usually a sucker for anything that sounds like it could be from the 70s or 80s. Other than that, this is a great song to dance or relax to.

4. Mino (from WINNER) - Body



I know what some of you thinking: What?! You're going to talk about Mino's solo release, but not Bobby's?! And to that I say: I'm only at number four, so how do you know that Bobby isn't next? Anyway, I like this song because it's kind of moody and yet also sensual in its own way. Also, I heard that the original version of this video was so racy that they had to edit out all of the good stuff and now there are plans to release an uncut version of it. Can you tell I'm excited? So excited...the uncut version had better be good though, otherwise it'll be 50 Shades all over again...

5. MOBB (Mino and Bobby) feat. KUSH (the artist, not the, uh, other stuff...) - Hit Me


MINO X BOBBY MOBB - HIT ME 빨리 전화해 feat KUSH... von nam-seulqii

Okay, fine...so this isn't Bobby's solo release, but technically I did include Bobby. And at least this way we don't have to look at him sporting dreads. Oh, what?! I like him better with his regular black hair... Ahem...anywho...it was difficult for me to choose which one of their two songs I like more because they both are quite good (and the more I listen to Full House, the more I like it), but Hit Me just lifts my spirits a little bit more. However, both are decent party songs...even if I'm not much of a public partier.

To wrap things up for this entry, a few honorable mentions (to access the videos, just click on the underlined items): Red Velvet - Russian Roulette, Bobby (from iKON) - HOLUP, and MOBB - Full House. Hopefully, there is something for most of you in this lineup.

Until next time and happy listening!

No comments: