Monday, September 05, 2016

Drowning in K-pop: Aug. 29th-Sept. 4th

I can't really say that I'm too excited about the K-pop offerings from last week, but that's what happens when most of the really strong songs get released during the first half of the month. Let's see...there were Hyuna's and CL's comebacks as solo artists...then Black Pink debuted...and then BTS' Suga aka Yoongi aka Agust D released his mixtape...and in between there were a few other solid songs, but this past week has been kind of meh in that area. There wasn't anything that got me really excited...except for maybe Jay Park, but I'll get to that a bit later. Other than that, I've mainly been listening to metal or techno while out and about or to mashups and remixes when I've been at home. However, I still managed to find a few songs that might be of some interest to you guys.

1. Lovelyz' Kei and MyunDo (feat. BUMZU) - Y


Kei (러블리즈) & myunDo _ Y (feat.BUMZU) MV von lee-cheng-yu

Okay, so this isn't my fave, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good song. I mean, Lovelyz' Kei has a, dare I say, lovely voice and I like the interplay of the rap segments with her vocals. However, this is something I would listen to while relaxing or have it play in the background, as opposed to listening to it while I'm out running errands or exercising.

2. HOMME - Dilemma


Homme - Dilemma MV [English subs + Romanization... von LoveKpopSubs

Say what?! Another slow song?!?! What's wrong with you?!?!?! Well...how much time do we have? I'm kidding, but this week was kind of full of slower song releases, so you're going to be seeing...at least one more of those in this post. This is a fairly sad song, but it does do a good job of describing the pain and worry one has to contend with when dealing with love. Ugh, feelings...so annoying, amirite?! (And no, I don't actually think that.) What particularly impresses me is that the song was co-written by Rap Monster from BTS, and while I initially couldn't really imagine the rapper working with this duo whose strong suit is their ballads, he pulled it off really well. So I will gladly listen to this sad love song...not all the time though because I...I just can't...

3 and 4. MAMAMOO subunits - Angel (Solar & Wheein) and Dab Dab (Moonbyul & Hwasa)





I like MAMAMOO. Granted, they're not at the top of my list when it comes to picking out workout songs, not unless they're remixes, but they do have great voices, a ton of personality and are unexpectedly dorky and pervy, so all positives in my book. While Angel is another one of those slow songs that are perfect to listen to on a calm, relaxing afternoon (assuming you can afford such a luxury), Dab Dab would be right at home in a lounge setting. And yes, I was expecting something slightly more hardcore or edgier from the two rappers in the group, but this is actually fairly typical of the group's sound as a whole, so no major complaints from me there.

And 5. *drumroll please* Jay Park - Aquaman (Warning: I wouldn't sing this out loud at work, unless you work at home, then sing along all you want.)

[Disclaimer: Don't be led astray by the title, this is not about DC Comics' superhero of the same name. It's about Jay Park's...uh...ability to hold his breath underwater. Yeah...we'll just go with that explanation.]


박재범 Jay Park Aquaman [Official Music Video... von realfour

*slow clap* This. Song. Is. Amazeballs. This was actually recommended to me by a friend (and no, not that kind of "friend") and her main selling point was its amazing, nay astonishing, douchiness. And she was right and it's just glorious. It is kind of douchey, but in probably the best possible way. Besides, this is coming from the same guy who gave us the song Sex Trip ("Your ass will go up and your face will go down..."...what could he have possibly been trying to tell us with that line? Hmm...), so I don't know what exactly I was expecting from him. If you're annoyed by listening to lyrics you don't understand, no worries, because the whole song is in English. (Unless you don't understand English, of course...in which case, welcome to my blog!) However, once he says that he wants to call you mama because you're going to be making a baby, you just might end up wishing it was in Korean. That being said, there are worse songs out there. This one's actually kind of okay and it makes me laugh, so that's a plus. I would also say that you might like this song if you enjoy listening to Justin Bieber or Drake.

With that, I will wrap up this entry and hopefully, there is a song here that you like (either because it's something you enjoy listening to or because it's just plain amusing, sometimes that's more than enough). Feel free to let me know what your faves are, or even if you have a fave. Like I said, I thought the past week was kind of lackluster, but that's just me and my very humble opinion. Until next time and take care (especially if Jay Park invites you to join him in his hot tub and wants to show you his best Aquaman impression)!

No comments: